The Curtiss Museum is fortunate to have an extensive collection of Curtiss and Curtiss-related vintage aircraft and antique aircraft - certainly one of the largest of its kind under one roof.
Our aircraft collection presently consists of:
• 1917 Standard "J-1" (on loan from Henry Ford Museum)
• 1919 Curtiss "Seagull" Flying Boat (on loan from Henry Ford Museum)
• 1927 Curtiss "Robin"
• 1929 Mercury "Chic" (on loan from Mercury Aircraft)
• 1929 CW "Pusher" (on loan from Curtiss-Wright)
• 1943 Curtiss C-46 "Commando" (on loan from NASM)
• 1951 "Doppelraab" Glider
• 1917 Curtiss JN-4D "Jenny"
• 1919 Curtiss "Oriole"
• 1929 Curtiss Fledgling
• 1931 Mercury S-1 Racer (on loan from Mercury Aircraft)
• 1931 Curtiss-Wright "Junior" (on loan from H. Hale - NY)
• 1931 Curtiss-Wright "Junior"
• 1904 Baldwin Dirigible Gondola
• 1907 AEA Glider
• 1908 "June Bug" (on loan from Mercury Aircraft)
• 1909 "Silver Dart"
• 1910 Albany Flyer (currently in progress)
• 1911 A-1 "Triad" Seaplane
• 1912 Curtiss "Headless Pusher"
• 1913 Curtiss "E Model" Flying Boat
• 1914 Curtiss "America" Flying Boat
• 1943 Curtiss P-40E "War Hawk" (in ¾ scale)
A Closer Look
• Albany Flyer
• Curtiss America
• June Bug
Selected items from our vintage & antique aircraft collection.
A-1 Triad - the U. S. Navys first seaplane
Curtiss JN-4D "Jenny"
This is the airplane that firmly established Glenn Curtiss as the premier aircraft manufacturer in the U.S. During the World War i period, upwards to 7000 "Jennys" were built, mostly at Curtiss's huge Buffalo plant. Used extensively by the U.S.Army, Roughly 95 percent of all American and Canadian pilots who flew in the war, received their training in a Jenny. After the war, surplus "Jennys" were plentiful and cheap. Because of this, they became the aircraft of choice for hundreds of former military pilots who wanted to take up "barnstorming". During this post-war period, Charles Lindbergh and Amelia Earhart both learned to fly in a "Jenny", as did many others.
Curtiss P-40E "Warhawk" (reproduction)
Between 1939 and 1945, Curtiss produced 13,920 P-40 fighters. Deployed to every theater of World War II, the P-40's were known for their durability, especially in China, where they were the legendary mounts of the AVG, an American volunteer group better known as the "Flying Tigers". The museum's reproduction was built in 3/4 scale by Courtney Swarthout of Ontario, Canada, and donated to the museum in 1994. Powered by a 200 hp Ranger Inverted Six, this aircraft was flown successfully prior to its donation.
1919Hery Ford Museum
Cutiss "Headless" Pusher (reproduction)
It has been said that the "Headless" design came about by accident in 1911 when the damaged forward flying surfaces were removed from a standard airframe. It proved to be a beneficial act of providence, as flight characteristics were substantially improved.
Although the "Headless" Pusher was simple by today's standards, it was a significant advance for aircraft design in America at the time.
The "June Bug" Reproduction
Designed by Curtiss as the third "Aerodrome", the "June Bug" became the first aircraft to fly a distance of one kilometer. On July 4, 1908, Glenn Curtiss piloted the "June Bug" on the flight that was to win for him the Scientific American Trophy and the ultimate honor of being awarded U.S.Pilot's License No.1. This flight is considered to be the first pre-announced, public flight in America. The museum's reproduction was built by volunteers from the Mercury Aircraft Corporation in Hammondsport and was flown successfully in 1976.